I’ve never celebrated Valentine’s Day for myself. I never really understood the whole “be your own valentine” thing because I had nil understanding of self-care. My thought process was that Valentine’s Day meant celebrating someone else. Or having someone else celebrate me. It was a day to show love and give gifts…to someone else. But what about showing love and giving gifts to yourself? With this new found commitment to my self-care and on putting myself first, this Valentine’s Day–in addition to celebrating my husband–I’m also celebrating me.
I kick ass on a regular basis.
My confidence is growing and every day, I’m leaning more and more into who I am. This is the time (but not the only time) to show myself some love. And I know I’m not the only one.
We should all be celebrating ourselves regularly. Valentine’s Day, however, gives us an opportunity to take it up a notch.
Here are a 17 ways to be your own valentine and show yourself some love.
- Take yourself out to dinner
- Get a massage
- Disconnect from social media, email, and turn your phone off
- Buy yourself some flowers
- Take a long, hot bath
- Remove negative people from your life
- Invest in something that makes you happy or something that you need
- Prepare your favorite meal. Don’t feel the need to accommodate those who don’t like it.
- Take a “mental health day” from work
- Set your phone alarm to say something makes you want to rise and shine. For example, when my alarm goes off every morning it says, “Wake up and be awesome!”
- Wake up naturally, with no alarm clock
- Listen to your favorite song over and over
- Do something that involves giving back
- Write a letter to someone who has made your life better and tell them why. You don’t have to send this letter, but the benefits of writing and showing gratitude are vast.
- Read for pleasure
- Pay attention to how people, places, things, and situations make you feel